TOP MOST COMMON DESIGN MISTAKES
Take a look at some of the most common decorating mistakes that can easily happen when not given proper guidance.
We can help you avoid them at all costs!
Whether it is advice on paint colors, or rug size, Steven G is always here to help your high-end interior design needs!
The Top 10 Most Common Decorating Mistakes
- Not shopping around to accommodate the budget before buying
- Choosing furniture that’s too big or small for the room
- Improper arrangement and display of accessories, collections and artwork
- Choosing wall colors and patterns before choosing furnishings
- Failure to create a focal point
- Trying to work in “heirlooms” that don’t fit the design
- How to decorate with children
- Too much color and contrast
- Falling victim to the latest fads
- Not asking for help
To make certain you are doing everything you can to avoid these common design mistakes here are a few more to be on lookout for:
Do Not Go Overboard On Matching
- It can be easy to fall into the trap of buying the same furnishings and start matching everything. This can make a room feel overwhelming, what you should do is mix up accessories to add character to each room. This will bring uniqueness.
Choosing that Bright Yellow Couch
- Bright and bold colors can be very harmonious when decorating a space as long as they have reason and purpose. If you are to choose a bright colored sofa you may want to reconsider based on the ebb and flow of the rest of the room.
- If you did pick that banana colored couch you are now forcing the room to always carry this loud aesthetic, which takes away from any diversification in the future. However if you choose a subdued colored couch you’ll have the ability to interchange different colored home accessories such as blankets and throw pillows. You can re-arrange and stylize the room over the years without being stuck to one look. So go neutral when sofa shopping!
Do Not Use Poor Lighting
- Lighting is a very important element to the functionality and feeling of a room. You have to think about the color of light, the quantity of light and where to place it. When you have lighting in layers you can build more light based on the time of day and add dimmers. Now you can have the ability to adjust your lighting for any mood you want.
Not Testing Out Paints Before Your Purchase
- It is very important to test out your paint color choices before taking the dive. Avoid too much intense color. Make sure you also mix up colors and test them out. Swatching is key to finding the perfect color.
- You simply cannot just purchase your favorite color you see at the store! This is because every color can look differently in any room. This is due to many natural lighting causes. Test out various swatches on different walls and compare how they look under certain light. You will be much happier with your color choice when you see the best-suited color based on the wall.
Don’t Place All Furniture Against the Walls
- Instead of having your living room furniture stand pressed against the wall, try moving it inward to create a warm seating arrangement for conversation. The furniture should be arranged to allow for guests and family to circulate through the space. Just add the perfect area rug and you can unite all furnishings.
Do Not Ignore Scale and Proportion
- It is very important to determine scale and proportion when designing a room. Scale is the size of things, and proportion is the relationship of those sizes to each other and the room as a whole. Making sure you add the right furniture and create feng shui will bring peace to a room.
Rushing Your Decorating
- You do not have to finish your entire home decorating at once! Rushing will not bring you your dream home. After living in the space for a while, certain design issues begin to surface. You may notice that your curtains do not block enough light or that the guest bedroom should be moved. Your home will evolve and grow with your needs and surroundings.
You want to make sure you do your research to avoid design mistakes! You have already made the right choice by reading this blog!